PE and Sports
Welcome to our PE and Sports Page
At Cleveland Road Primary School, we believe it is our duty to inspire and build on our pupil’s interest in sport through the provision of a high quality PE curriculum. Physical Education develops children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. These include dance, games, gymnastics, swimming and water safety, athletics and outdoor adventure activities.
Physical Education promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills and promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. The school believes that Physical Education, experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is vital and unique in its contribution to a pupil’s physical and emotional development and good health.
The Physical Education curriculum aims to provide for children’s increasing self-confidence through an ability to manage themselves successfully in a variety of situations. Through our PE and Sports Curriuclum we aim:
· To enable our children to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and co-ordination
· To develop an ability to remember, adapt and apply knowledge, practical skills and concepts in a variety of movement based activities
· To encourage children to work and play with others in a range of group situations
· To develop the way children perform skills and apply rules and conventions for different activities
· To increase children’s ability to use what they have learnt to improve the quality and control of their performance
· To promote positive attitudes towards health, hygiene and fitness
· To foster an appreciation of safe practice
· To develop a sense of fair play and sportsmanship
· To develop an understanding in children of how to succeed in a range of physical activities and how to evaluate their own success
· To foster an enjoyment, and positive attitude to, the subject in school
In doing so:
· Children will participate in a range of psycho-motor / movement activities to develop personal physical skills (Practical Activities)
· Children will be made aware of their body in relation to others and their immediate environment and aim to promote quality of movement (Kinesthetic)
· Children will be made aware of simple physiological changes that occur to their bodies during exercise (Physiology)
· Be given opportunities to develop imagination and co-operation to achieve shared goals(Teamwork)
· Be given opportunities to develop personal characteristics like initiative, self-reliance and self-discipline (Self knowledge)
· Be given opportunities to enjoy and succeed in the subject, as well as be stimulated and challenged (Problem solving)
· Be given the opportunity to develop areas of activity of their choice in extra-curricular time and make full use of the facilities here, to prepare mentally and physically for Key Stage 3 and beyond.
Through these pages, we hope to share some of the work we are doing across the PE curriculum, along with some of the many sporting achievements we are able to celebrate in our school.