Art and Design
Welcome to Art and Design at Cleveland Road Primary School
Creativity brings into existence new ideas, original ways of doing things and new creations of all kinds. Art is essential to prepare pupils to participate in tomorrow’s rapidly changing world. Teachers encourage children to develop their investigating, designing, making and evaluating skills by thinking and intervening creatively.
Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Art and design is concerned with the way we respond to, understand, interpret and shape our world through our senses and emotions. Taking part in art and design allows us to investigate what we see; to make visual responses; to interpret; to discriminate and reach decisions. Art and design has its own language based upon the visual elements.
The following aims underpin teaching and learning within Art at Cleveland Road Primary School:
- To develop visual and tactile sensitivity and to encourage children to find satisfaction through use of their senses – noting changes
- To encourage an enjoyment in making/evaluating images and giving ‘personal form’ to thoughts and perceptions of the known/imagined world
- To promote the development and learning of new skills, ideas, concepts and attitudes through the exploration of different materials and technical processes
- To use these skills to complement and extend other areas of learning
- To give the children the opportunity to understand their world by response to first-hand experiences
- To encourage the children to take a pride in their own work, and to be in contact with and understand the work of others – therefore developing social skills by working with others
- To access cultures, traditions to the children, fostering understanding and respect
- To encourage the children to think for themselves and develop self-motivation and discipline
- To encourage independence and confidence handling, choosing and using media/techniques
We hope that the information in these pages, alongside the work we have shared within our Artsmark pages, provides you with a glimpse of the many great projects and learning opportunities taking place in our school. We hope that this site provides parents with useful information and support that will aid home learning and encourage families to engage with the creative arts.